So.

Apr. 27th, 2018 09:04 pm
lovemankind: some nice flowers (gen)
[personal profile] lovemankind
My grandmother had a heart attack.

Discussion of family illness/death and alcoholism below the cut.



She's been in the hospital for a little over a day. My granddad found her unconscious in the bathroom, from what I understand. She still hasn't regained consciousness and the doctors say that if she doesn't wake up within 48hrs, she probably won't. She started having seizures a few hours ago.

This is my mother's mother, who some of you may know is an alcoholic and has been for a long time. She's been in the hospital before for alcohol-related health problems, mostly with her heart. The last time she went to the hospital was a few years ago; she had tried to stop drinking and had a seizure. The doctor ultimately told her that the withdrawal would kill her faster than the alcohol so there wasn't much point to her trying to quit.

Mom's take is that she's lived longer than a lot of people expected given her health problems, and she's been shockingly lucid for the past six months after spending the last decade in varying stages of alcoholic dementia, so if this is her time at least she'll die happy and mostly present. I don't know how I feel. A little numb, I guess. There's a lot of other complicated family stuff happening right now so I feel sort of overloaded, more than anything. I can't really process all of this. I don't know.

I don't want her to die.

Profile

lovemankind: (Default)
lovemankind

July 2021

M T W T F S S
   1234
567891011
12 131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 30th, 2026 11:12 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios